Skip to main content

The Post You SHOULD Read!

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil I

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil The flames of Hades flickered off the rough hewn walls of the cavern as I stumbled my way deeper into the earthen maw. Acrid, black smoke invaded my eyes, blurring my vision and clouding my lungs. Dark voices shouted in a rhythmic chant somewhere beyond the hall of fire through which I now walked. My body was cut and bruised; my clothes turned to rags barely clinging to my sweat glistened flesh.  What maligned road led me to my current state of depravity? My mind flickered back to that fateful day in the warrens of Singapore, to one of the myriad of seedy opium dens lining the alleys. It was there that I found the remnants of the infamous Anglo explorer Sir Percival Covington.  I pushed back the shoddy veil of the curtain to find Sir Percival upon his back, clad in sweat-stained khaki and a weeks' worth of grime. So much for the hero of the British Empire. His glazed eyes alighted upon me, and a flicker of recognition danced across his ruddy face

Writing in a Coffee Shop: Cliché or Fresh?

 Writing in a Coffee Shop: Cliché or Fresh?

coffee shop
How in F are you supposed to fit a laptop on this tiny ass table?

First off, I said freshJesus H. Christ. I hate saying or writing the word fresh, but it works. Maybe? 

Still hate it.

I need some new vocabulary lessons. Hooked on Phonics here I come. 

Honestly, I used to rip of the guys and gals who sat there in the local Starbucks typing away like they were someone important. Now I am sitting in the Coffee shop and type away like I am important...Do I rip on myself? Yes, but at least I still don't have a stupid man-bun.

There is a method to the madness here. Yes, many of you (an by many, I mean the 5 or 6 readers I have right now) might already know this, but some might just need a little justification to write at the coffee shop. You might need someone else to tell you that it is ok to be cliché. You might be distracted by all the mundanity at home and are procrastinating.

Writer's block.

Most people like coffee and if they don't then they are communists...I mean tea drinkers...they hate all things happy. Just kidding. I like tea too. 

To start, grab your notebook or laptop and go treat your brain to some overpriced caffeine. Go to Starbucks. Go to Momma Jo's Beanery, go to whatever coffee shop café place you find convenient or tolerable. 
Order your beverage of choice, even if it is some soybean bullshit or tea...Then sit your happy ass down with your writing implement and take it all in. Sip that coffee and watch the crowd. You may actually pick up a few ideas for character traits or for setting (if your story relates to a coffee shop).

When you are done messing around, start writing. No, don't connect to the Wi-Fi unless you need to fact check a detail or something. It is just another distraction. 

Sure, the café could be full of distractions, but they are different then the distractions we all face at home. There is no laundry to do, not shitter to clean, no television to mindlessly watch, no kids, no pets, you get the picture. You don't have anything else to do except write.

Unless you get severely distracted by people watching, coffee shops make for great places to get some mind vomit onto the page. They are also not bad for editing, which in my mind is a more tedious task and one I procrastinate from. 

Yes, all of those screenplay writing twats had it right when they started the trend. I didn't say anything about them not being clever or forward thinking. A d-bag can be smart as well as having their head shoved up their tush. 

I know I am harsh. I don't go any easier on myself. 

For now, if you are in a bind or find yourself distracted and procrastinating at home, go to your Zen place of coffee and get back to it. 

Comments

Popular Posts