Skip to main content

The Post You SHOULD Read!

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil I

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil The flames of Hades flickered off the rough hewn walls of the cavern as I stumbled my way deeper into the earthen maw. Acrid, black smoke invaded my eyes, blurring my vision and clouding my lungs. Dark voices shouted in a rhythmic chant somewhere beyond the hall of fire through which I now walked. My body was cut and bruised; my clothes turned to rags barely clinging to my sweat glistened flesh.  What maligned road led me to my current state of depravity? My mind flickered back to that fateful day in the warrens of Singapore, to one of the myriad of seedy opium dens lining the alleys. It was there that I found the remnants of the infamous Anglo explorer Sir Percival Covington.  I pushed back the shoddy veil of the curtain to find Sir Percival upon his back, clad in sweat-stained khaki and a weeks' worth of grime. So much for the hero of the British Empire. His glazed eyes alighted upon me, and a flicker of recognition danced across his ruddy face

10 Mistakes New Writers Make

10 Mistakes New Writers Make

via GIPHY

I was doing some reading on Quora on how to avoid using the word "suddenly", when I stumbled on this nice bit of advice from one Jody Lebel (Jody Lebel - Quora). I found it useful because I am a new writer that still makes dumb ass mistakes. I mean sometimes my prose are amazing, especially when I don't think about it, and other times my writing looks like it was done by an illiterate 3 year old baboon named Bryan. I am guilty of all of the following...

Here are 10 mistakes new writers often make. Hope they help.

1) The use of exclamation points. Never, never use one. It is the sign of a beginner writer and editors spot it immediately. Using an exclamation point is lazy. It is telling not showing.

2) Words ending in 'ing'. Go through your ms (manuscript) and eliminate as many of these words as possible. She was singing. They were swimming. All telling.

3) Same with words ending in 'ly'. She said quietly. He walked quickly. Change it up. Show us. Better: She said, her voice so soft he had to lean in to hear.

4) Limit the use of 'was' and 'were'. They are shameful telling verbs. He was mad. Better: He slammed his fist on the table so hard the glasses rattled. Both sentences let us know he's mad; which sentence is more interesting?

5) Limit the use of 'very' and 'just'. It was very cold. He just wanted to get in the warm cabin. Better: The cold air left frost on his mustache and cracked his lips. The smell of the wood fire at the cabin spurred him on through the snow.

6) Be suspicious of the word 'it'. It rained. It was unpleasant. You can almost always find a better way. Use a deeper POV for example. Better: Although I had buried snips of my hair in an old mason jar out in the backyard like my grandma told me, rain still showed up on my wedding day.

7) He and She. Try to eliminate as many as you can. He sang. Better: Charlie sang. Best: Not knowing if it would get a laugh or a boo, Charlie lifted his face into the spotlight and began to sing.

8) Clichéd work. Don't ever write it was ‘as quiet as a mouse’, or ‘a tomb’, or ‘so quiet you could hear a pin drop’. We've all read that too many times. Be unique. It was as quiet as a nun's prayer. So much more interesting to read.
    I don't 100 percent agree with this one...I am partial to some clichés 

9) Watch those misplaced antecedents. When she spoke to Mrs. Smith she smiled. Who is smiling here?

10) Changing POVs in the middle of a scene.
The way the girl's long hair shone in the sunlight got John's immediate attention. Fascinated, he moved closer with the intent to feel the softness without her being aware. She wondered if he was going to get the nerve.
Whose head are we in? John's. So the last sentence has to be changed. He can't know what she might be wondering.

Comments

Popular Posts