Skip to main content

The Post You SHOULD Read!

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil I

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil The flames of Hades flickered off the rough hewn walls of the cavern as I stumbled my way deeper into the earthen maw. Acrid, black smoke invaded my eyes, blurring my vision and clouding my lungs. Dark voices shouted in a rhythmic chant somewhere beyond the hall of fire through which I now walked. My body was cut and bruised; my clothes turned to rags barely clinging to my sweat glistened flesh.  What maligned road led me to my current state of depravity? My mind flickered back to that fateful day in the warrens of Singapore, to one of the myriad of seedy opium dens lining the alleys. It was there that I found the remnants of the infamous Anglo explorer Sir Percival Covington.  I pushed back the shoddy veil of the curtain to find Sir Percival upon his back, clad in sweat-stained khaki and a weeks' worth of grime. So much for the hero of the British Empire. His glazed eyes alighted upon me, and a flicker of recognition danced across his ruddy face

Carter House

 
abandoned building

Carter House

Most people don't remember the Carter house. The old stone Victorian manse sits in solitude north of town, its crumbling structure perched on one of the hills and lost in a maze of pine timber. The place is protected by a fallen bridge over a raging river and the rains have eaten away the better parts of the road.

No one goes up that way much. A few brave hunters venture up there once or twice a season, but they usually don’t go back. A few teenagers take the girls up there to prove their bravado, most don’t make it across the ruins of the old bridge. The ones that do tell crazy stories about crazier things seen in the haunted mists that swirl in perpetuity about those hills.

I know because I used to be one of them.

I was brash, young, and foolish. I wanted to prove myself. I thought myself fearless.

Now I know better. Now I am afraid.

Something is awake in those hills and the Carter house is the fulcrum.

Whatever happened up there is only getting worse.

It is spreading.

Fear.

Madness.

Death.

I am the only one who can stop it. I have to go back. I have to go back and face the terrors of Carter house. God help me, but it is the only chance we have.

You betcha. This was another writing for theProse. It just kind of popped into my head based on a challenge that I did not do. I picture a house in the woods of the Pacific Northwest where it is rainy and foggy. Deep dark woods with larges trees, ferns, and moss covered rocks. I really enjoy writing these little snippets!

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this “little snippet”. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you! I stepped away from my writing for a while, but I am glad to hear at least one person enjoyed it! That makes me successful in my book!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts