Skip to main content

The Post You SHOULD Read!

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil I

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil The flames of Hades flickered off the rough hewn walls of the cavern as I stumbled my way deeper into the earthen maw. Acrid, black smoke invaded my eyes, blurring my vision and clouding my lungs. Dark voices shouted in a rhythmic chant somewhere beyond the hall of fire through which I now walked. My body was cut and bruised; my clothes turned to rags barely clinging to my sweat glistened flesh.  What maligned road led me to my current state of depravity? My mind flickered back to that fateful day in the warrens of Singapore, to one of the myriad of seedy opium dens lining the alleys. It was there that I found the remnants of the infamous Anglo explorer Sir Percival Covington.  I pushed back the shoddy veil of the curtain to find Sir Percival upon his back, clad in sweat-stained khaki and a weeks' worth of grime. So much for the hero of the British Empire. His glazed eyes alighted upon me, and a flicker of recognition danced across his ruddy face

Creating Your Own McGuffin

 Creating your own McGuffin

The ark of the covenant.
You are sitting down to plan that first adventure novel and you need a McGuffin. Got McGuffin? You need the Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant, but those have been done before. Most lost treasures or lost cities have been done before in adventure novels or movies. This means you can create your own spin on them, or you can create your own.

If your read my other post on McGuffins, then you know what they are. If you didn't, get over there and do it (What is a McGuffin?). Or Google it, because someone else probably explained them better than me. I'm not explaining them again! 

Why Create Your Own McGuffin?

Simple. All of the other ones have been used and used again in different media. Not that you cannot write them with your own creative twists, but some people are tired of cliches. I like cliches and don't easily get tired of them. Publishers, not so much. 

It can be fun to do as well, especially if you are a very creative type or if it fits your narrative. You get to design it from the ground up, creating a legendary backstory complete with curses and lost expeditions. If you are an artist, in the sense that you can draw or paint, then you could even drum up literal imagery of your McGuffin. 

The sky is the limit when your make your own, so let your freaky imagination fly free.

How to Create Your Own?

Research and creativity. 

Next.

Okay, maybe I could elaborate more...

The order does not matter here, maybe you are creative and have an idea first or are researching and come up with an idea. Logical, right? With that idea in mind, it is time to build on it, to make it real. It can be helpful to base your McGuffin on something real or even mythological to give it substance. 

Read up on mythological artifacts or cultural mythologies to get ideas. Research cultures and legends on archaeological and anthropological websites to pull real world influences into your story and McGuffin. Hell, start with old Wikipedia and then head down the rabbit hole.
Primitive necklace from a tribal culture.
Example time. Your McGuffin is a holy amulet from a long-lost African empire. The amulet has mystical powers that give its holder victory in any battle. The amulet is based on legendary artifacts like the Spear of Longinus, aka the Spear of Destiny, or even the power of the Ark of the Covenant. Additionally, you could choose a real African empire that existed in antiquity, or you can make one up and base it on a combination of traits from real empires. Build up legends around the item, such as a King wore the amulet in every battle and never lost until the amulet fell from his neck. Or in the 1920's several expeditions vanished in the Congo seeking the amulet. Mystery generates interest. 

It is up to you to make the McGuffin as real or far-fetched as you want. It is up to you if you want to make one up too. With that in mind, go McGuffin yourself.



Comments

Popular Posts