Skip to main content

The Post You SHOULD Read!

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil I

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil The flames of Hades flickered off the rough hewn walls of the cavern as I stumbled my way deeper into the earthen maw. Acrid, black smoke invaded my eyes, blurring my vision and clouding my lungs. Dark voices shouted in a rhythmic chant somewhere beyond the hall of fire through which I now walked. My body was cut and bruised; my clothes turned to rags barely clinging to my sweat glistened flesh.  What maligned road led me to my current state of depravity? My mind flickered back to that fateful day in the warrens of Singapore, to one of the myriad of seedy opium dens lining the alleys. It was there that I found the remnants of the infamous Anglo explorer Sir Percival Covington.  I pushed back the shoddy veil of the curtain to find Sir Percival upon his back, clad in sweat-stained khaki and a weeks' worth of grime. So much for the hero of the British Empire. His glazed eyes alighted upon me, and a flicker of recognition danced across his ruddy face

10 Steps to Finish Your First Novel

10 Steps to Finish Your First Novel


1. Set a clear goal: Determine how many words you need to write each day to finish your novel within a specific timeframe. One month? 15 years? Be realistic and set achievable goals that work for your schedule and writing habits. You may only be able to write 500 words a day or maybe 5,000. Everyone is different, I know I am. There are days where I can write five pages and other where I am lucky to get one sentence down. 

2. Establish a routine: Make writing a habit by setting aside specific times each day to work on your novel. Do you have a spare half hour between breakfast and taking the shitlins to school? Write a few paragraphs. It is a as simple as it sounds on paper, in practice it is more difficult. Just remember Tip 4. 

3. Create an outline: Develop an outline or a plan for your novel to keep you on track and prevent writer's block. This can be as detailed or as general as you prefer, but it should give you a clear roadmap to follow. Even pansters have some overall plan to follow, and it can be as simple as "The hero gets a quest, meets a girl, meets a villain, beats the villain, happy ever after". Outliners will make a detailed word document style outline, or they will use one of the writing software's out there to layout each chapter and scene. 

4. Write every day: Here is my favorite tip and part of establishing a routine. Even if you don't feel inspired, make sure to write something every day. The more you write, the easier it becomes to get into the flow of your story and build momentum. Whatever you write does not even have to be part of your novel. You could write a mini adventure story for some side character or a background of history for a city in your world. Just friggin write otherwise you will have to read 3 Things that Happen When You Stop Writing

5. Avoid distractions: Turn off your phone, close your email, and eliminate any other distractions that could take your focus away from writing. Lock your kids in a closet...wait, no, don't do that. Lock them in the basement, more room to run. Set yourself up in a quiet, comfortable space where you can fully concentrate on your work. If you have to setup a program that blocks social media or YouTube for the duration of your writing time, then do it. Write in your damn garden shed out of range of the Wi-Fi. 

For more tips on avoiding distraction check out 4 Tips to Avoid Social Media Distractions or Dopamine the Writing Distraction.
Distractions

6. Take breaks: Writing can be mentally and emotionally draining. Take regular breaks to recharge your energy, avoid burnout, and hemorrhoids. Use this time to do something that relaxes you, like taking a walk or reading a book (you should read every day as well as write). Remember, staying active and fit is essential for your physical and mental health as well as my own. I don't need to run into any more nutjobs out there. Check out my thoughts (HERE) on not being fat when you are spending so much time at a desk. 

7. Don't edit as you go: Resist the irresistible urge to constantly edit your work as you write. Instead, focus on getting your ideas down on paper and saving the editing for later. I have harped on this before and it is one of my mega-issues...one of so many. So, for fucks sake, don't do it. 

8. Get feedback: Share your work with trusted beta readers or a writing group to get feedback and constructive criticism. This will help you improve your writing and make necessary revisions. Don't take the criticism too much to heart, unless you really are a shitty writer, because sometimes the truth hurts but we can and do learn from it. I am shit at taking criticism as I mentioned in THIS post. 
Receiving feedback.

9. Celebrate small milestones: Celebrate your progress along the way, even if it's just hitting a certain word count or completing a chapter. Recognize and appreciate your hard work. I didn't realize the significance of finishing a first draft of a novel until someone else told me, shocked that I had done so. Pat yourself on the back and get your ass back to work!

10. Stay motivated: Stay motivated by setting rewards for yourself when you hit certain milestones and when you finish your novel. Finish a chapter, get a cookie. Finish a page, do 50 pushups. Finish your novel, buy a hooker...Too far? Oh, and don't eat that cookie, fatty. 
Motivational post it notes.






Comments

Popular Posts