Skip to main content

The Post You SHOULD Read!

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil I

Quinn Chapman and the Altar of Evil The flames of Hades flickered off the rough hewn walls of the cavern as I stumbled my way deeper into the earthen maw. Acrid, black smoke invaded my eyes, blurring my vision and clouding my lungs. Dark voices shouted in a rhythmic chant somewhere beyond the hall of fire through which I now walked. My body was cut and bruised; my clothes turned to rags barely clinging to my sweat glistened flesh.  What maligned road led me to my current state of depravity? My mind flickered back to that fateful day in the warrens of Singapore, to one of the myriad of seedy opium dens lining the alleys. It was there that I found the remnants of the infamous Anglo explorer Sir Percival Covington.  I pushed back the shoddy veil of the curtain to find Sir Percival upon his back, clad in sweat-stained khaki and a weeks' worth of grime. So much for the hero of the British Empire. His glazed eyes alighted upon me, and a flicker of recognition danced across his ruddy face

USE YOUR IMAGINATION! A note on triggers and escapist fiction.

 USE YOUR IMAGINATION!

 A note (rant) on triggers and Escapist Fiction


I remember hearing reviews for a made-for-television special of Journey to the Center of the Earth and one of them panned the movie because it did not show where the characters went to the bathroom. This is what the review was thinking about? I would understand hitting on the special effects or some of the cheesy dialogue, but the bathroom habits of the characters are completely inconsequential to the story or one's enjoyment of it. Don't take everything so damn seriously! 

I find this to be one of many, problems in current commentary on books and films (especially films pre-2020, before they became woke trash with terrible AI scripts and shitty CGI). People like to find things to criticize just so they can feel good about themselves, like pointing out a jet trail in a movie set in medieval times.  Some of the time, criticism is legitimate, especially when the film/television show was just being lazy (like any Marvel production since Endgame). The Game of Thrones T.V. series, past Martin's published works, is a good example where criticism is earned. Other times, it is annoying, repetitive, and unnecessary. 

My latest example of something in this lane is the new remaster of the first three Tomb Raider games and the "unified" Lara Croft character model. First, they just had to put a stupid woke trigger warning at the beginning of the game that states: 

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered trigger warning.

IT IS A FUCKING FICTIONAL GAME SET IN A FICTIONAL VERSION OF OUR EARTH. KEYWORD: FICTION. No one from any indigenous communities complained, new about, or gave a shit about these depictions. Just overly privileged purple haired white chicks. SO FUCKING STUPID! Every article about the game just shoves something in there related to these cultural depictions that the majority of people just don't worry about. These same people will deride classics, like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, for their using anyone but rich white men as antagonists. I got news for you, yah virtue signaling geniuses. Anyone can be a bad guy and some stereotypes are based on reality! Any modern article that mentions Indiana Jones just has to add some bit in there about this. 

These people have no imagination and too deep of a desire to overcompensate for their shortcomings. When they made Temple of Doom, I highly doubt Lucas and Spielberg were sitting there and asking each other: "How can we depict the people of India in a negative and insulting light? Gosh, we sure hate the Indians!"

Then there is the attempt to make Lara Croft, the sexy and bad ass femme fatale, into a man and a lesbian (that is lib logic right there). This "unified" design artwork with androgenous features is complete horse shit. A woman can be attractive and a bad ass. Just because you are ugly and jealous doesn't mean we need to change everything to suit you.

I am ranting so hard that I am losing my train of thought!

STOP MAKING EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! When did these people lose their imagination? Fiction, especially pulp fiction and fantasy, is meant to be an escape from the real world. An escape from politics and poverty. Forget your troubles, forget the laws and truths of the real world, and get the hell out of dodge for a while. We have enough shit to worry about in everyday life, like crippling inflation and being taxed on everything, that we don't need to have this shit infiltrating our escape. FUCK YOUR MESSAGE and FUCK WHATEVER DUMB MADE UP COMMUNITY YOU BELONG TO! LEAVE FICTION ALONE! Stop trying to modify the past, recognize it, but don't re-write it for some slight, perceived or real. Get over yourself. We do not have to believe whatever your liberal professors taught you when you were getting your useless gender studies degree. 
Leave Britney alone meme

Therefore, I will continue to write pulp homage with the bad guys being whoever I want them to be. Nazis? Yes. Lost Tribes in the Amazon? Yes. Will it insult some people? Yes. Do I care? No. For those of you with some imagination and common sense left, you will recognize these stories for what they are and will enjoy them. Pure escapism and a journey back to a time when the world was unexplored and there were mysteries everywhere.

Comments

Popular Posts